Debt Reduction Update



I am steady knocking out the last of my debt. I only have $800 remaining on a credit card and I'm down to $5,533.52 for my student loan. The plan was to pay $400 for the month of July and August and have the credit card paid off. I was going to make lump sum payments on the student loan and have it paid off by the end of the year. Now the catch...I paid a few dollars less than $2500 for my thyroid surgery, which was supposed to be the only amount I would owe based on my insurance's hospital stay deductible. However, when I called to find out the balance on the account I was told the remaining balance is over $1700.

The $1700 balance is the physician's bill and not the hospital's. I was assured the $2500 I paid went to the hospital and as a result there would be a credit to the hospital portion of the bill, which would be transferred to the physicians bill. This would leave a balance of $0 for the physician's bill. I just have to wait for my insurance company to process the claim. Hopefully this happens, but I'm not the most trusting of insurance companies; so I'll see how it all plays out. I hope I don't have a battle on my hands...but if I do, I'm up for the fight.

Provided the physician's bill is covered as explained, I'm on track to be debt free by the end of the year...or maybe even sooner! I'm so excited that this minor set back can't even diminish my excitement. I can't wait until I can yell, "I'm COMPLETELY debt free! I'm sure it will be on this blog, and Facebook, and Twitter, and Yahoo IM, and....well, you get the picture.

8 Comments:

  1. Serendipity said...
    How exciting!
    Annienygma said...
    Wondeful! Proud of you!
    Divine and Debt Free said...
    This is great! we must celebrate together!! I am not sure If I can eeek out debt freedom by the end of the year but I know I will be close so hold out on partying it up for me lol.

    its exciting for sure!!!!!
    Everyday Tips said...
    I am very excited for you! I loved when my student loans were all paid off!

    Unfortunately, you probably will have to hound the insurance company/doctors office to make sure your bill payment went smoothly.

    Congrats!
    Young Mogul said...
    Thanks for the comments...and, yes, I am VERY excited. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

    Unfortunately, I am prepared for a fight from the insurance company...but nothing I can't handle.

    I am so determined to be debt free by the end of the year or even sooner if possible!
    Cash Only Living said...
    Wow! Way to go! Congrats!!
    Alonzo said...
    Wow - I'm extremely excited for you. Think about it, you'll have done what most Americans can't - beat debt!
    Betty Jo said...
    Congratulations for being so near your goal! You're doing a great job! I'm cheering you on. So sorry there was a set-back, but keep up the good work.

Post a Comment