What Are Your Temptations?


I can honestly say I don't have many temptations. I am a handbag addict, but even that I don't consider a true temptation. I don't just buy random handbags in ridiculous colors. All of my handbag purchases are well thought out; I comparison shop (usually on the internet); I ensure they can be mixed and matched with other items in my wardrobe; and under no circumstances do I buy a bag that is similar to something I already have in my closet. So, the handbag thing....although I consider it a festish, I, pretty much, have a handle on purchases. So, that still leaves the question, what are my temptations? Hmmm....

I would have to say my temptations are going out to eat and traveling. Both of these things are tempting to me because they usually signal GIRL TIME! When I think about going out to eat, it usually means me and my girlfriends going out to a casual restaurant, sitting on the deck while eating, laughing and indulging in a few drinks. Likewise, because I'm single, most of my travel is with friends. It is SOOO hard for me to turn down an invite for a trip that is anywhere out of state. I love to travel, meet new people, and have new experiences. Additionally because I come from a family where people were content to just scrape by, there was no eating out or traveling for me as a kid. I believe this is another reason why I love these two experiences so much.

In examining my temptations, I have come to realize that my temptations aren't about spending money; rather they're about having experiences with people who are close to me. I guess this is why it is so hard for me to resist. But, because I'm living my life with financial goals, I believe I've found a balance that is reasonable and doesn't leave me feeling deprived--in regards to eating out, that is. The issue of traveling is a whole other story. I'm still trying to find a balance. For now, my solution has been to turn down smaller trips and save for that grand vacation.

So, those are my temptations. What are yours? And have you figured out why these are temptations for you?

8 Comments:

  1. Serendipity said...
    You know what? I find that my misc money easily gets blown because I love eating out. I tend to go to resturants or pick something up to eat because I think I hate cooking and am too lazy to pack my lunch. But I love the point you made about spending time with friends vs actually the eating part of it.
    Willow said...
    We spend our money on three things (besides charity giving): travel, mostly to see our family; farmers market and our own garden, because we love fresh local food; more travel, same reason.
    Karin said...
    I think it's great that you are not denying yourself the experience of traveling. Getting to experience new places and different people is good for us in so many ways. I think it's good that you aren't putting it off until you are older. It's obviously something you enjoy immensely and you aren't tied down, so go for it!
    Anonymous said...
    My temptations are exactly the same! I have travel and dining out with friends sections in my budget. I purposefully rid my budget of clothing (have enough) and miscellaneous items (junk) purchases so I could do more of both! You know what? I'm happier, and as for clothes and shoes which can still tempt me, I'm taking Tim Gunn's advice about what I have to "make it work!"
    Annienygma said...
    My big temptations are computer stuff, books (digital primarily) and eating out. Those are the big day to day ones.

    It is hard to control the temptations for a larger hard drive, a new book, a trip to the coffeeshop...

    I'm still working on those three temptations. It is a serious challenge too!
    Goose and Gillian said...
    Our temptations are GOOD coffee, GOOD beer and books. Not getting any of the above right now but once we are debt free look out :)
    me in millions said...
    clothes! i try to avoid shopping malls because i could go and spend hundreds without blinking an eye. i made it through all of july without spending on clothes!
    Cash Only Living said...
    Starbucks! Lord help me...from now thru October, if you buy a morning beverage, you only need to pay $2 in the afternoon to get a medium sized frap. Yikes! by October I'm gonna need lapband surgery!

Post a Comment